East of Otter Tail
Minnesota Highway 108
Built in 1938 by the Otter Tail County Historical Society. The site has a boat landing and small gravel parking area.
Trading post on the Red River Trail in 1857 and United States Post Office from 1857 to 1860. The settlement was broken up by the Sioux outbreak of 1862. Dedicated by the Otter Tail County Historical Society, June 26, 1938.
The present site marker was preceded by a 3' x 5' sign circa 1930 with the following text:
Already a trading post on the Red River trail in 1857, a colony from Cambridge, Massachusetts settled here in the spring of 1858, and a U.S. Post Office was maintained from December 2, 1857 to April 11, 1860. The community disappeared with the Sioux Outbreak of 1862, and Leaf City became one of Minnesota's many vanished towns.
[Seals of Minnesota Historical Society and Minnesota Department of Highways]
Leaf City was a stop on the Red River Ox Cart Trail. A traveler in 1861 wrote upon arriving "we came to Leaf City (houses one, population one), slept within four walls, rested a day while the rain poured..." ¹
|circa 1938, MnDOT|
Minnesota Dept. of Transportation Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory
¹ Marble, Manton. (1861, February). To the Red River and Beyond [Third Paper]. Harper’s New Monthly Magazine, 22(129), 306–323.