Sunday, January 12, 2014

Whipholt Roadside Parking Area - Sugar Point Battle Historical Marker

Whipholt, MN
Minnesota Highway 200

The Whipholt RPA is on the south shore of Leech Lake about 13 miles east of Walker. The site includes an overlook wall, a pedestal with a historical marker, a boat launch and picnic area.

The parking area
Hwy 200 in background, Leech Lake on right

Stone overlook wall





The overlook wall was started in 1941 by the WPA and completed circa 1951 by MHD. The WPA was ordered to stop after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The existing overlook was simplified from the original plan, on completion the wall was about ⅓ the length of the original plan.

Bronze plaque
Sugar Point Battle
When a federal marshal with about 100 troops of the 3rd Infantry tried to arrest the Chippewa chief Bugonaygeshig at Sugar Point opposite here on the northeast shore of the lake, a sharp fight occurred October 5, 1898. The whites lost 7 killed and 16 wounded and the arrest was never accomplished.
[Seals of the Minnesota Department of Highways and the Minnesota Historical Society]

The plaque was preceded by a 3' x 5' steel sign erected circa 1930 as part of the historic marker program by the Minnesota Highway Department and Minnesota Historical Society. The steel sign had the same text as noted above.

The Cass County Historical Society published a book about the Sugar Point Battle in 2011. See: http://www.casscountymuseum.org/publications.html

Whipholt Roadside Parking Area, Aug. 1997
Minnesota Dept. of Transportation Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory