US Highway 169
The Garrison Concourse is near the intersection of US Highway 169 and MN 18, along the lake side of Hwy 169. The site was designed by A. R. Nichols and the National Park Service and built by the CCC between 1936-1939. The common use is a roadside parking area.
|The Garrison walleye (added 1985) greets travelers as they turn into the RPA|
The monument behind the fish was erected by the Park Service, the Minnesota Highway Department and the Village of Garrison.
Named from the fur traders' phrase "The thousand lake region." This lake is 1250 feet above sea level and covers about 200 square miles. It formerly included much low ground and several adjacent lakes. When visited by Du Luth in 1679, Sioux villages, now indicated by the numerous burial mounds, lined the lake shore.
Concourse designed and constructed by Minnesota Highway Department National Park Service Village of Garrison Civilian Conservation Corps
underwent a major repair (PDF)¹ (October 2013), even the walleye was moved to a temporary location. Lakeland News story of the completed work (Nov 2013).
|Fall 2013 construction on the concourse|
|Seen from the Garrison Rest Area|
|Tauer Monument, approximately 80' north of concourse|