US Highway 61
The Lester River Bridge is an intact concrete and stone "earth filled and open spandrel arch bridge." The bridge was "Erected by Joint Contribution of Chester A. Congdon Estate, City of Duluth and County of St. Louis in 1924."¹ A plaque which was installed at completion read exactly that but is no longer on the bridge.
The bridge was incorporated into the trunk highway system in 1934. Rail damage repair was conducted in 2005 and bridge preservation in 2010.
|Lester River Bridge (Bridge 5772), Oct. 1997|
Minnesota Dept. of Transportation Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory ³
¹ General Plan for Earth Filled and Open Spandrel Arch Bridge over Lester River (MnDOT)
² National Register Property Details : National Register of Historic Places : mnhs.org. (n.d.). Retrieved February 11, 2014, from http://nrhp.mnhs.org/NRDetails.cfm?NPSNum=02000934
³ Susan Granger, Scott Kelly, and Kay Grossman. (1998, December). Historic Roadside Development Structures on Minnesota Trunk Highways. Minnesota Department of Transportation.
|The National Atlas Streamer Map. (n.d.). Retrieved February 11, 2014, from http://nationalatlas.gov/streamer/Streamer/streamer.html|