US Highway 169
The Vineland Historical Marker is located on the east side of Highway 169 along Mille Lacs Lake. The site consists of a parking area and a stone monument with a metal plaque with text addressing the battle between the Chippewa and Sioux which drove the Sioux to southern Minnesota.
The marker was built in 1952 by the Minnesota Highway Department. The site also had two stone and concrete benches which are missing or removed, drinking water, two tables and two fireplaces, all no longer extant. The Vineland Marker is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
The marker was preceded by a 3' x 5' steel sign as part of the trunk highway marking program¹ of the 1930s. The sign had the same text as noted below.
"In this vicinity stood the great Sioux village of 'Izatys' where Duluth planted the French arms on July 2, 1679. The settlement was visited by Father Hennepin in 1680. About 1750 the Chippewa, moving westward from Lake Superior, captured the village, and by this decisive battle drove the Sioux permanently into southern Minnesota." [Seals of the Minnesota Historical Society and the Minnesota Department of Highways]
|Vineland Historical Marker, Oct 2013|
Hwy 169 in background
|Vineland Historical Marker, Aug. 1997|
Minnesota Dept. of Transportation Historic Roadside Development Structures Inventory
VINELAND, a village and port of Mille Lacs near its outlet, in Kathio, was named for the early Norse settlement on the northeast coast of North America in the year 1000, visited by numerous later voyages, which was called in the Icelandiclanguage Vinland, meaning Wineland, from grapes found there. Its post office was called Vineland from 1891 to 1921 and Wigwam Bayfrom 1921 to 1929, at which time it was discontinued. Minnesota Place Names, A Geographical Encyclopedia, http://mnplaces.mnhs.org/upham/index.cfm
¹ An effort of the Minnesota Historical Society and Minnesota Highway Department dating to 1929.