Fond du Lac
This site consists of a small roadside parking area and a stone pedestal with a metal plaque historical marker.
Text of Metal Plaque"Fond Du Lac. Fond du Lac was incorporated in 1857 and became a part of the city of Duluth in 1895. This is the site of a major Chippewa Indian settlement from the 16th through the 19th centuries and is situated on the early canoe route along the St. Louis River from Lake Superior to Lake Vermillion and the upper Mississippi. Daniel Graysolon, Sieur du Lhut, visited the site in 1679. The American Fur Company established a trading post in 1817. Louis Cass camped here in 1820 while searching for the source of the Mississippi River as did Henry R. Schoolcraft in 1826. The Chippewa Indian treaty negotiated by Cass was signed at Fond du Lac in 1826.
"A branch of the Superior-St. Paul Military Road was built to Fond du Lac about 1856, and the first railroad to reach Duluth -- the Lake Superior and Mississippi -- was constructed to the settlement in 1870. Erected by the St. Louis County Historical Society in cooperation with the Minnesota Highway Department 1956."
The site was built as part of a 7.1-mile roadside development project along T.H. 23 in 1956. The plans were signed in October of 1955 by Harold E. Olson (Engineer or Roadside Development Division), E. J. Rowland (Engineer of Lands and Right-Of-Way), R. J. Wolfangle (Engineer of Plans), Walter Schultz (Assistant Engineer of Plans and Surveys), L. H. Miller (District Engineer), G. G. Gladman (Engineer of Plans and Surveys), and J. C. Robbers (Asst. Chief Engineer). The project also included planting Colorado Spruce and American Elms in the grassy median on the divided roadway.¹
¹ Susan Granger, Scott Kelly, and Kay Grossman. (1998, December). Historic Roadside Development Structures on Minnesota Trunk Highways. Minnesota Department of Transportation.