Minnesota Highway 46
Chippewa National Forest, Itasca County
The first Ranger Station at Cut Foot Sioux was located on the north shore of Little Cut Foot Sioux Lake, northwest of Deer River. The location was chosen because it was an area that had previously been used by Indians. The one room building was added to the Register August 7, 1974.¹
The key to the station and a guided audio tour can be checked out at the Cut Foot Sioux Visitor Center.
The second Ranger Station was a two story building seen here. The third building, circa mid-1930s, remains in use as a bunkhouse for seasonal staff.
¹ National Register Property Details : National Register of Historic Places : mnhs.org. (n.d.). Retrieved June 19, 2014, from http://nrhp.mnhs.org/NRDetails.cfm?NPSNum=74001026
|District Ranger Harley Hamm at the Entrance to the First Ranger|
Station of the Minnesota National Forest 09/1958
(The National Archives)