West Duluth / New Duluth
This roadside parking area, built circa 1958, is available to travelers leaving or approaching Gary-New Duluth on Highway 23. The present site has two remnants of the original overlook; poured concrete footings for the original wall and a stone pier at the west end of the wall. The site looks out over the St. Louis River, seen below in these mid-May photographs.
|Original concrete footing visible at ground level|
|Stone pier from original wall|
In 1980 large broken boulders of granite were placed along the footing.
The wall was specified on the plans to be 200' long with a curving overlook bay at its midpoint. It was to be 18" thick and 2' tall and built on a concrete footing. The wall was anchored with 26"-square, 28"-tall stone piers at 20' intervals. There was to be a 6'-wide asphalt-paved walkway along the inside of the wall that was lined with a stone curb. Historic photos indicate that the site was actually built with pairs of beams (probably steel) between the piers, rather than the stone superstructure drawn on the plans.¹
¹ Susan Granger, Scott Kelly, and Kay Grossman. (1998, December). Historic Roadside Development Structures on Minnesota Trunk Highways. Minnesota Department of Transportation.