Maine Prairie, north of Kimball
This historical marker was built in 1949 by the Minnesota Department of Highways (MHD) and Cold Spring Granite Company. It consists of a small turnoff and stone marker which commemorates a small prairie village. The beauty is its simplicity.
Text of Granite Marker
"Maine Prairie Corners""Here in 1856 settlers from Maine established a community that grew into a vigorous pioneer village including three churches and stores, two lodge halls, blacksmith shop, cheese factory -- all built near the site of a 2 1/2 story tamarack fort used during the Sioux outbreak of 1862."
"With the coming of the Soo Line in 1886 most buildings were moved to Kimball. The last to remain burned in 1919."
"Stearns County Historical Society and the Kimball Centennial Committee 1949."